Login
Currencies     Stocks

Restrictions on protest marches in Sydney’s CBD and eastern suburbs enacted in the wake of the Bondi terror attack have been lifted amid a probe into police behaviour at last week’s rally.

NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon announced on Tuesday that the public assembly restriction declaration had expired and would not be extended, opening the doors for protest marches to resume in previously restricted areas.

Police actions at a rally last week are under investigation.Wolter Peeters

“Whilst the public assembly restriction declaration has been lifted today, can I say I want the community to consider and respect others,” Lanyon said.

Protest groups wishing to march through the streets can now resume making applications as usual, which can be challenged in the courts if police believe there is a threat to public safety.

The decision comes after the police watchdog announced an investigation into the actions of police at a protest against the visit of Israeli President Isaac Herzog last week.

Videos showed police removing people who were praying outside Sydney Town Hall on February 9.Dr Mohammed Mustafa, Instagram

Lanyon said the violent scenes had “very little” bearing on his decision not to continue with the restrictions.

“I had significant concerns about the safety of the community in managing the visit of a head of state, the movement of Jewish Australians who were there to see that head of state, but also the rights of people to protest,” Lanyon said.

“I’m satisfied the conditions that led to the extension last time do not exist now.”

The Law Enforcement Conduct Commission investigation was sparked by a significant number of complaints of heavy-handedness, including vision of police officers physically moving Muslim worshippers while they were bowed for evening prayers.

Another video captured the moment officers held a protester to the ground, punching the person at least 18 times. Police allege the protester bit an officer on the thumb.

The organiser of the rally, the Palestine Action Group, is planning another protest this Sunday at Hyde Park. Police had asked the group to hold last week’s rally at Hyde Park, which was outside the restriction area, but protesters instead insisted on gathering at Town Hall.

The protest restrictions were introduced by the state government just days after the Bondi massacre in December, giving the police commissioner the power to seal off parts of the state from protest marches up to three months after a terror attack.

Activists are mounting a legal challenge to the law arguing it is unconstitutional, and infringes upon the implied right to freedom of political communication. A hearing will be held later this month.

Our Breaking News Alert will notify you of significant breaking news when it happens. Get it here.

Jessica McSweeney is a reporter at The Sydney Morning Herald covering urban affairs and state politics.Connect via email.

From our partners

Read the full article here

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version