Login
Currencies     Stocks

Updated ,first published

A driver who rolled his speeding car over a concrete barrier and onto on a second vehicle in Sydney’s south, killing himself and two others, was fleeing police conducting a welfare check.

The man crashed his white Audi sedan into a Toyota sedan after midnight on Rocky Point Road in Sans Souci, leaving one of the vehicles on its roof.

Three people are dead after a white Audi sedan collided with a blue Camry sedan in Sans Souci.Maruf Hasan
The blue Camry sedan.Georges River and Surrounds – Local News and Alerts

Police had earlier called to a home on Second Avenue, Gymea Bay about 12.25am on Saturday, responding to reports of a mental health incident. The 42-year-old fled the scene in the Audi before officers could speak to him. Shortly afterwards, the white sedan travelling at “considerable speeds” rolled over the concrete barrier on Rocky Point Road, and onto the blue Toyota.

The male driver and passenger of the Toyota sedan died at the scene, and have yet to be formally identified. The Audi driver was also killed in the crash.

Detective Acting Superintendent Graham Hibbs, Commander of St George Police Area Command, said it was a “horrific and tragic” scene.

“We really feel for the families of all three persons who were involved in this incident and their loved ones,” he said. “I don’t think there were many cars on the road at that time, and [it was] extremely unlucky for the people involved.”

Hibbs said there were about 20 to 40 bystanders on site when police arrived, and some had helped with putting out a fire after the engine bay of one of the vehicles caught alight.

A crime scene has been established and police are investigating with assistance from officers in the Crash Investigations Unit.

Police have contacted family members of the 42-year-old. Officers are also investigating whether the Audi driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Rocky Point Road has been closed in both directions between Fontainebleau Street and Holt Road, and there is no access to Captain Cook Bridge, Transport for NSW said. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use the Princes Highway, including Tom Uglys Bridge, to cross the Georges River.

Be the first to know when major news happens. Sign up for breaking news alerts on email or turn on notifications in the app.

Cindy Yin is an urban affairs reporter at The Sydney Morning Herald.Connect via email.
Sarah McPhee is the Overnight Homepage Editor for The Sydney Morning Herald.Connect via email.

From our partners

Read the full article here

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version